We bring you this week a simple, flavorful dinner that comes together in about 30 minutes. This Curried Beef recipe adapted from Keto Connect incorporates exciting flavors and results in a comforting and hearty stew of sorts.
Curry powder is traditionally a combination of turmeric, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, dry mustard, and cracker black pepper. This recipe makes it simple by using a premade curry powder, which you can find at most grocery stores. Additionally, you may find that some stores have numerous curry powders with different heat levels, so if you like it hot, choose a spicy variety.
While this recipe calls for coconut milk to create your curry sauce, heavy cream can also be substituted if you are not a fan of coconut.
This recipe makes 6 servings.
1.5 lbs beef stew meat
1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
1/2 medium white onion, diced
3 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 can coconut milk
4 oz mixed vegetables such as cauliflower, bell peppers, broccoli, snap beans
- Heat a large, deep pan or dutch oven over medium-high heat and add 1/2 tbsp oil.
- Once hot, add in the stew meat and brown on all sides.
- Remove seared stew meat from the pan/pot and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1/2 tbsp of oil to the same pan and turn the heat to medium. Scrape the bottom of the pan using a spatula to incorporate the flavors from browning the meat.
- Add in the diced onion, and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes or until translucent. Add in the garlic, curry powder, cumin, salt and chili powder. Combine ingredients using the spatula and cook for 1-2 minutes until spices are fragrant.
- Add the stew meat back in and stir to combine.
- Add the coconut milk to the beef mixture and allow the ingredients to melt together.
- Place a lid on the pan/pot and allow to simmer for 20 minutes. If you are adding in the vegetables, add them after ten minutes have passed and then replace with the lid and allow to cook remaining time.
- Remove the lid and either serve immediately or allow to reduce for a thicker curry sauce for an additional 10 minutes.
Each serving has 278 calories, 20 grams of fat, 2 grams of carbohydrates, and 23 grams of protein. You can add this recipe to your My Fitness Pal by searching for ELMM Curried Beef. If you choose to add additional vegetables, these will need to be added to your food diary individually.