Dress It Up
Have you ever read the label of your favorite store-bought salad dressing? You might be surprised by what you find! Many have added sugars hidden behind ingredients like sucrose, fructose, corn syrup, glucose, dextrose, and malt syrup to name a few. Additionally, some contain artificial dyes and stabilizers. Although a number of companies have worked to improve the quality of ingredients found in their salad dressings, there is one dressing they CANNOT BEAT, and that is a homemade dressing ready to go in minutes.
Making your own salad dressing is easier than you may think. All you need is a good quality oil, vinegar, and spices. We will provide you with the basic ingredient list, and idea of spice combinations, and the proper ingredient ratios to make a delicious dressing. AND, as a bonus, we will share with you an easy way to take your basic vinaigrette and turn it into a creamy dressing!
Oil- we prefer olive, avocado, or grapeseed
Vinegar- choose white wine, red wine, or apple cider while avoiding balsamic due to a high sugar content
Lemon or lime juice (optional)
Spices- salt, pepper, minced garlic or garlic powder, dried herbs
Optional additions- Dijon mustard, soy sauce, hot sauce
- Mix 1 part vinegar to 3 parts oil. We recommend starting with a small batch of 1/3 cup vinegar with 1 cup oil.
- Add the juice of one lemon or lime, if desired. This will result in a tangier dressing.
- Add 1 tsp each of salt and pepper.
- Continue to add spices, 1-2 tsp each. If using minced garlic, we recommend 2 cloves.
- Either whisk or blend ingredients until the dressing is well emulsified. Alternatively, place ingredients into a well-sealed jar or bottle and shake vigorously.
- Enjoy right away or store in a jar and well sealed glass bottle at room temperature. Shake well before using.
- Lemon juice, dried basil, and garlic powder
- Soy sauce, crushed red peppers flakes, and ground ginger
- Lemon juice and dried dill
- Lemon juice, dried basil, dried oregano and dried thyme
- Lime juice and fresh cilantro
- Lime juice and dried cumin
To turn your vinaigrette into a creamier delight, add one of the following:
- 1/3 cup plain, Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
Now, go “dress it up”!