Egg Roll in a Bowl
Looking for a new and different flavor profile to spice up your dinner routine? Look no further than our spin on an “Egg Roll in a Bowl”. Adapted from Whole New Mom, this recipe is a great go-to when you are craving your usual Chinese takeout.
Borrowing from the flavors found inside the wrapping of an egg roll, this recipe offers taste without added calories. The ingredient list is high on flavor and incorporates nutritious vegetables with high quality protein. We suggest not skimping on the seasoning items or the sesame oil, as they add so much to the dish! However, if you are low on time, buy a pre-shredded cabbage blend to cut down on prep time. The recipe as is serves 6, but even if you are cooking for 2, you will want the leftovers!
- 9 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 2 med onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake (optional)
- 1/3 cup beef broth (chicken, turkey, or vegetable broth can be used as well)
- 4 teaspoons tamari, liquid aminos, soy sauce, or coconut aminos
- 2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef (or ground or finely chopped chicken or pork)
- Green onion for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add the sesame oil and chopped onions to the skillet. Stir to combine and cook until the onions are browned.
- Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the spices and broth to the pan and stir to combine.
- Add the cabbage and stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring frequently until the cabbage is cooked, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the carrots soften.
- Add tamari, liquid aminos, soy sauce, or coconut aminos and vinegar. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve as is or atop cauliflower rice.
- Garnish with green onions if desired.
One serving of this recipe has only 193 calories, 12 grams of carbohydrates, 17 grams of protein, and 8 grams of fat. You can add this recipe to your My Fitness Pal food diary by searching for “ELMM- Egg Roll in a Bowl”.